The PCA was established by the Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes, concluded at The Hague in 1899 during the first Hague Peace Conference. The Conference was convened at the initiative of Czar Nicolas II of Russia "with the object of seeking the most objective means of ensuring to all peoples the benefits of a real and lasting peace, and above all, of limiting the progressive development of existing armaments." The most concrete achievement of the Conference was the establishment of the PCA: the first global mechanism for the settlement of disputes between states. The 1899 Convention was revised at the second Hague Peace Conference in 1907.
To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the 1907 Hague Peace Conference and the 1907 Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes, a commemorative meeting of the PCA’s Administrative Council was held for PCA member states on October 18, 2007.
Commemorative Session Program
H.E. Judge Gilbert Guillaume
Professor Philippe Sands QC
Professor James Crawford SC
Working in close co-operation with the PCA, the Hague Justice Portal is making the PCA’s historic international arbitral awards available for the first time in electronic format. The PCA’s awards from the early 20th century, together with additional documents relating to those arbitrations, are being made available online at the Hague Justice Portal in both searchable PDF and HTML format.